Beach Panorama

Beach Panorama

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Real life "Creepy Crawlers"

Sue took this photo of a butterfly while wandering the garden areas around the home they are watching. There are so many different species of butterflies and moths in the islands...I don't, unfortunately, have any of the moth we saw that was black and as big as a small bat.
As with most things to do with bugs, bigger doesn't mean better. We have already blogged about the mosquitos and termites we've seen.

This millipede must have been the papa of the thousands we've seen that are only an inch long. This fella is about 3 1/2 inches long. I found one similar to this that I wanted to pester. It immediately turned over, placed all of it's feet in a grappling hook array and I thought I saw fangs. Karen told me to leave it alone before I got bit.

This photo was taken on the trail Karen and I took up to the top of Norman Island. We saw many butterflies, large black bumblebees and a few spiders. Although you may have thought the photo has nothing in it...you are looking through a spider web about 2 feet across and the spider (blurred) is in the center. It was black/white and twice as big as your typical garden spider.

This here little fellow is a tarantula. One of the dogs, Nemo, found it trying to get into the house
 and had it in a corner by the door...gooooodddd Nemo!

Karen decided it would look good to give a better size perspective by putting it on Toddy's hat...we didn't tell him though.

Here's a closeup of it on a rock. I thought it would be fun to hook up a small string on it and tie things to it to see how much weight it could pull, but Karen told me to just let it go. Maybe she was worried it would get mad and bite me.

2 comments:

  1. You can keep the spiders. Still snowing here. Can't wait for Mexico 2/22
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo, are there any snakes around? YIKES! Just keep all those bugs off your boat! As always, good blogging.....:)

    ReplyDelete