Beach Panorama

Beach Panorama

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boat improvements, mostly


Karen and I mentioned to many of you the trials we encountered trying to get the boat relaunched this year. As a brief recap...as soon as we put it in the water the 1st time, we encountered a leak in the bottom. We had it pulled back out, I fixed it and then set it into the water the next day. We then tried to start the engine to check it for fuel leaks (the high pressure fuel pump was removed/repaired/reinstalled during the summer). It wouldn't start. Of course, the starter was bad...soooo, we ordered a new starter from the mechanic that installed the fuel pump. "Don't worry, Mon...I weell have it to you by Thursday or Friday" and he also said..."I will get eet from my buddy in Virgin Gorda...he can get eet for you at a great deescount. But I must have the moneey first, so it can be ordered. No Worries, Mon".


Everyone...just sigh now...I know what you're thinking. Okay, we had reservations also, but he came recommended to us from some friends in the business. Sadly, they got thrown for a loop like us, too. Anyway, our mechanic never showed with the part...or the $$. We waited over 3 weeks, patiently, until the patience ran out. We ended up buying our 2nd new starter and hired another mechanic to help troubleshoot the installation and various wires that were disconnected.

Phase 3 of the engine start process worked better than the first two...the engine turned over, anyway. It just wouldn't start. It seemed that the other fuel pump...yes, there's two of them...needed to be replaced. And whilst I was buying the pump, I might as well replace the leaking exhaust mixing elbow. Yes, I installed these newly purchased parts and yes, it finally started. When I mentioned to Karen that I might want to stay in the marina for another day to repack the winches, she reminded me (not nicely at all) that we had been there for 3 1/2 weeks...enough for now. So we departed the marina and got lots of free time to enjoy...and I still haven't done the winches. Oh, by the way...we heard from the mechanic today, the day of infamy, that he was going to leave the $$ with our friend in the marina....hmmm...this sounds familiar.....we'll keep you all informed, as the storyline continues.

Here's some pics of the projects we did do while waiting and waiting and waiting for the mechanic:
Karen applied new ATC vinyls to the port and starboard sides of the boat



Karen made shade screens for the back and sides of the cockpit


Karen sewed bottom cushion covers for the salon

Karen cleaned and re-oiled the cockpit teak



Karen made covers for the cockpit cushions







Meanwhile, just so you don't think I was watching someone else do all the work...I repaired the keel (no pictures) washed the boat (no pics) repaired holes in the mainsail (no pics) cleaned/painted the anchors (nope) ran a new wire harness for the speed transducer (nope) cleaned the bilges, burped the shaft seal, put a new "Y" valve in the head (nope, naw and nada)....etc. All of this on top of supervising Karen's progress!
AND...I installed dive tank holders in the cockpit locker


2 comments:

  1. I think I see you in that tower decal. You're the one sitting down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm, sounds like the little wifey is doing ALOT of work! Hmmmm, no pictures of your handywork? Sounds fishy to me! HA

    ReplyDelete