Beach Panorama

Beach Panorama

Friday, July 2, 2010

Ferndale, CA is the place you want to visit!

Based on recommedations from many of the family, we took off on a side trip to visit Ferndale, CA. We sure are glad we did...the architecture of the downtown buildings was amazing. Many of the homes and businesses are restored to the original Victorian-era style of the 1800's. Here's a link to the town's website, if you are interested in learning more about the town and the general area of Northern California. 

The town's buildings were damaged during a series of earthquakes back in 1992, although it appears everything has been restored to "like new, only old" condition.

Karen and I are standing on the grand staircase of the Hotel Ivanhoe. I believe it's current name was inspired by the novel written by Sir Walter Scott. It was a knights tale, set in 12th century England. I remember reading the book as a young fella and was surprised to find a copy of the same one I had read in the glass display case in the lobby. I believe the story was even made into a movie or two.
It appears that it must rain in the area. A lot of rain. We saw this car parked along the street as we were headed back from our walking tour. Upon closer inspection, you will notice that the spots on the window edge of the car are lichens. Now, I'm not about to suggest that all cars in this area are prone to this, but I can tell you that it isn't the 1st time I've seen it. It happened often in Randle, WA where I grew up. I even googled the subject...would you believe there's a site that shares info about lichens on cars? Let me smarten you up like me...   http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/lichen-on-cars/

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, your "back yard" picture sure has changed over the months!!! What beautiful country you are seeing.

    ReplyDelete